Our Port Operatives provide cargo lashing & pinning services, heavy plant driving and manual labour operations to the London Gateway container terminal at Stanford Le Hope, Essex.
Our Port Operatives work a rotational five over seven shift pattern of days and nights to support the 24/7 terminal.
– Port Operative
– Stanford Le Hope, Essex
– £12.31 – £19.49 per hour
– Immediate Start / no experience necessary
Hourly rate: £12.31- £19.49 per hour
We currently have some exciting opportunities for Port Operatives at London Gateway, Stanford Le Hope, Essex. London Gateway is the UK’s most integrated logistics hub; a state-of-the-art deep-sea port and rail terminal on the same site.
The purpose of the role is to provide an effective and efficient cargo lashing, pinning and heavy plant driving service in line with specific customer requirements. Full training and PPE will be provided and no previous experience necessary.
- To lash containers on board vessels in a safe and efficient manner. (Lashing – when containers are secured/unsecured on ships for transport).
- Pinning – whereby a twistlock is placed into or removed from each underside corner of the container. The twistlocks lock the stacks of containers together when on the vessel.
- Progressing from Lashing and Pining onto Shuttle Carrier & Terminal Truck driving – moving containers from quayside to landside.
- Other duties associated with vessel loading/ discharging operations and mooring.
- Monitor and maintain work practices with particular focus on Health & Safety.
To be considered you must:
- Be aged 18 or over.
- Full UK Driving Licence.
- Ability to work at Heights.
- Flexible approach to working patterns.
What is in it for you:
- Comprehensive Training programme and continual development.
- Wide range of opportunities on the port to move customer side.
- Bonus Scheme – linked to productivity.
- 28 days paid holiday per year.
- Access to Wellness Programme (Employee Assistance Programme).
- Life assurance.
- Onsite Gym.
- Onsite Catering facilities.
- Regular family events.
This is a physically demanding, manual industry where all operatives work in a safety critical environment. The port operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
SCPS has a long tradition of port operations – over six decades.
We provide skills and services to operators and other customers at DP World London Gateway.
We are proud of our status as the biggest and most successful contract stevedore in the country and continue to provide a high standard and quality of service to exceed our customers’ expectations.
What is a Stevedore you ask? A labourer who loads and unloads vessels in a port. Other known names: deck hand, dock worker, docker, dockhand, dockworker, loader, longshoreman, port operator, terminal operator.
The application process
If you wish to be considered for the position, please apply now and upload your CV.
Selected candidates will receive full training for the position.
Not got a CV?
Download an application form here »
All application forms should be returned to the HR department on email@example.com.
Only successful candidates will be contacted.